Making Consistent, Quality Cheese with Membrane Concentrated Milk
December 11-13☼ Registration is now open.
This short course is intended for dairy processors who currently use or are interested in using membrane concentrated milk for cheesemaking. Through hands-on labs and applicable lectures, participants will learn how to handle the unique challenges presented by ultrafiltered (UF) and microfiltered (MF) milk. Lecture topics include:
• Benchmarking membrane filtration economics across cheese manufacturers.
• Business models from around the globe for use of membrane concentrated milks for cheese manufacture.
• Practical considerations for the proper design of a milk membrane concentration system to feed a cheese manufacturing operation.
• Matching cheese handling equipment and overall cheese operation to handle increased cheese yields generated from membrane concentrated milks.
• An integrated approach for the design and handling of UF and MF concentrated milks for cheese manufacture: Generation, storage, blending, cheese milk standardization, maintaining consistency, and handling of by-products.
• Necessary make procedure changes needed when using UF or MF milk to make consistent, high quality cheese.
Cost: 850.00 | Location: Babcock Hall, Room 205 | Register On-line & Payment
Registration begins at 7:30 a.m. and the program starts at 8:00 a.m.
Each student should bring the course confirmation to the workshop.
Lodging is not included in the registration fee. Make your lodging reservation directly with the hotel/motel you select. As a convenience, each of the following hotels will hold a block of rooms for this course. Rooms will be sold on a first-come basis. Shuttle service is provided at both hotels.
Hotel information will be posted soon.
DoubleTree 525 West Johnson Street, 608-251-5511
Special rates: $129 single & double (plus 14.5% taxes). Group rate code: CQC. Cut off date: November 10th.
The Madison Concourse Hotel One West Dayton Street, 800-356-8293
Special rates: $149 single & double (plus 14.5% taxes). Group rate code: Making Consistent, Quality Cheese with Concentrated Milk. Cut off date: November 13th.
Campus Map | University of Wisconsin–Madison
1605 Linden Drive
CALS Conference Services
640 Babcock Drive
Phone: 608-263-1672 | Fax: 608-262-5088
Register On-line & Payment