Wisconsin Process Cheese Seminar
The Wisconsin Process Cheese Short Course is a three-day hands-on short course designed to cover the basics of formulation and manufacture of pasteurized process and cold-pack cheese products. This course will begin with the basic theories and chemistry of process cheese manufacture and will include the practical aspects of process cheese making. The hands-on laboratory sessions will cover the manufacture of various process cheese products.
This short course is intended for all dairy and food processors interested in the manufacture and use of process cheese products. This course is designed to be a survey course for industry personnel and is not designed to address technical issues for research personnel. This course qualifies as an elective course for the Wisconsin Master Cheesemaker® Program.
Registration begins at 7:45 a.m. and the program starts at 8:00 a.m. Each student should bring the course confirmation to the workshop.
- Basic Theories of Process Cheese Manufacture
- Properties of Emulsifying Salts
- Manufacture of Cold-Pack Cheese
- Hands on Lab, Processed Sauces and Spreads
- Formulation of Processed Cheese
- Sodium Reduction in Processed Cheese
- Practical Aspects of Manufacture
- Packaging of Processed Cheese
- Manufacture of Processed Cheese Sauces
- Hands on Lab, Processed Cheese, Cheese Food, Processed Cheese Sauce Hi Temp Processing, Cold Pack
- Processed Cheeses from Around the World
- Basics of Dairy-Based Ingredients Used In Processed Cheese
- Importance of Dairy and Cheese-Based Flavors and EMC’s in Processed Cheese
- Stabilizers and Their Impact on Processed Cheese
- Assessing Rheological Properties Of Processed Cheese
- Other Ingredients and Flavorings
- HACCP for Process Cheese
- Defects Found in Processed Cheese
- Manufacture of Shelf Stable Processed Cheese
- Behind the Process of Manufacturing Spray-Dried Cheese
- Sensory Evaluation of Process Cheese, Process Cheese Market and Cold Pack
Lodging is not included in the registration fee. Make your lodging reservation directly with the hotel/motel you select. As a convenience, the following hotel will hold a block of rooms for this course. Rooms will be sold on a first-come basis. Shuttle service is provided from the hotel. Hotel information will be posted soon.
DoubleTree 525 West Johnson Street, 608-251-5511.
Special rates: $144 Single/Double plus tax per night (plus 14.5% taxes).
Group rate code: WPC. Cut off date: January 22nd .
The Madison Concourse Hotel
One West Dayton Street, 800-356-8293.
Special rates: $154 single $164 double plus tax (plus 14.5% taxes).
Group rate code: Process Cheese Short Course. Cut off date: January 20th.
Campus parking is restricted. Purchase a daily or half-day parking permit in advance by completing the online ordering form here: or by calling the Special Events Office at 608-262-8683. Please allow two weeks for processing. Inquiries about visitor parking can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Campus Map | University of Wisconsin–Madison