Registration Is Open
Buttermaking Comprehensive (in-person)
June 6-8, 2023 • $1,095
This course is being offered in-person. It is presented by CDR and industry experts including licensed buttermakers and butter graders and includes printed course materials and “Better Butter II” by Robert L. Bradley.
This is a three-day deep dive into producing and evaluating butter – this course covers all of the topics from Buttermaking Fundamentals in more depth PLUS additional topics from buttermilk to microfixing and addressing defects AND hands-on laboratory, manufacturing, and sensory sessions. This course is designed for those seeking a deep understanding of butter production and evaluation and the opportunity to network with other likeminded individuals.
- Butter 101
- A Brief History of Butter
- United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Butter Regulations
- Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP) Butter Regulations
- Quality Standards for Cream Used in Buttermaking
- Butter Science & Theory
- Manufacturing Butter Using a Batch Churn
- Buttermaking Laboratory
- Continuous Churns
- Other Processing Steps
- Discussion of the Butter Category
- Cultured Butter
- Mixed Milk Butters
- Flavored Butters & Related Products
- Anhydrous, Butter Oil, Clarified Butter, & Ghee – Oh my!
- Butter Yield & Calculations
- Butter Microbiology
- Food Safety
- Cleaning & Sanitation
- Environmental Monitoring
- Butter Characteristics
- Sensory Evaluation of Butter
- Butter Grading
- Cream and Butter Analysis Laboratory
- Defects and How to Prevent Them
- Learn everything you ever wanted to know (and more!) about cream and butter types, composition, and quality.
- Learn about the regulatory rules that apply to cream and butter.
- Learn about cream and butter processing equipment.
- Learn how butter, buttermilk, and related products are made and evaluated.
- Learn basic principles of food safety and sanitation.